11 July 2011

Archive: Vintage NYC In Drawings & Paintings (1997-1999)








CHRISTIAN MONTONE (1997 - 1999)
Drawings and Paintings:  Assorted NYC Street Scenes and Building Details.

From 1997 to 1999, I was creating (what I then considered to be) varied and illustrative pieces in which modern day New York City crossed paths with the varied New Yorks Of The Past... mainly those from 1950s and 1960s.  This was before I was an eBay user or an avid internet picture seeker, so I used the picture collection of The NY Public Library and any vintage NYC book, postcard or brochure I could find to gather reference.  I'm currently using reference I've gathered (from many sources) in the years since to build a newer (and much more cohesive) body of NYC-related pieces that touch upon the concept of multi-decade visual time travel, but I still look back on these seminal works and smile.